Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My Grandad

By Caitlin Radich, Room 14, 8 years

Have you heard of a javelin? Well, I had better tell you what it is then. A javelin is like a spear and my Grandad used to throw one. He was really good at it. In fact, my Grandad was very interesting so I am going to tell you about him.

My Grandad was born in Croatia in 1923. They say he was born on a rock but we don’t know if it is true. When he was 16 he and his family sailed out to New Zealand, 12 years after his Dad who was already in New Zealand. They bought a fish and chip shop in Stratford. They bought two farms. One was called Santa Rosa and the other was named Marylands. With Grandad’s brother Ned, they cleared the farms of scrub. They built bridges and even made concrete posts to fence their farms.

Grandad had a great interest in sport. He was really good at javelin. When he was 22, he qualified for the Empire Games. These games are now called the Commonwealth Games. When he qualified he won a medal. He didn’t go to the Empire Games because work was more important, he was getting married and there was a war, so the games weren’t held.

Grandad had seven sons. My Dad is the youngest. When he was 45 he got Parkinsons. It is a disease that affects your ability to control your arms and legs. He died when he was 71. I think that my Grandad’s life was very fascinating and I’m pleased to be one of his 26 grandchildren.

No comments: